Connect with us

Healthcare

Coronavirus Approaching Pandemic Status as China Continues to Lie About Conditions

Medical experts are worried that the Coronavirus is not approaching pandemic status as bodies mount in China and cases grow across the world.

Published

on

Medical experts are worried that the Coronavirus is not approaching pandemic status as bodies mount in China and cases grow across the world.

Researchers are becoming alarmed at how quickly the cases are growing across the globe.

A “pandemic” is a viral outbreak occurring on at least two continents at the same time. They are dangerous because the world’s healthcare resources become strained by having to confront medical emergencies in so many locations all at once.

The virus appears to spread quicker than both SARS and MERS, making it much harder to contain.

Trending: Hilarious Fail: CNN’s Ratings CRASH During Coronavirus Pandemic

“It’s very, very transmissible, and it almost certainly is going to be a pandemic,” said Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease. “But will it be catastrophic? I don’t know.”

As the New York Times reported:

In the last three weeks, the number of lab-confirmed cases has soared from about 50 in China to more than 17,000 in at least 23 countries; there have been more than 360 deaths.

But various epidemiological models estimate that the real number of cases is 100,000 or even more. While that expansion is not as rapid as that of flu or measles, it is an enormous leap beyond what virologists saw when SARS and MERS emerged.

When SARS was vanquished in July 2003 after spreading for nine months, only 8,098 cases had been confirmed. MERS has been circulating since 2012, but there have been only about 2,500 known cases.

But a Chinese nurse who is speaking anonymously because China is arresting anyone who talks to foreigners about what is happening inside the red nation, is warning that China is running out of resources even as the death toll grows.

“I think there are many more infections and deaths from coronavirus than have been officially reported. When preliminary tests determine that a patient has a lung sickness, the nucleic acid test (NAT), which detects viruses, cannot always be carried out because the waiting list is too long. The patient is therefore not diagnosed,” the nurse told DW.com.

“Furthermore, if someone dies from the lung sickness, and has not taken the NAT test, the fatality is not statistically registered as having been caused by the coronavirus,” the nurse added.

So, literally thousands of cases are going unrecorded. And many are dying without their death being added to the statistics.

The nurse also said that building more facilities is not as helpful as one might think because there aren’t enough medical personnel to staff them. So, people are still going untreated because they aren’t being seen even if they are in a hospital!

This is a grave emergency in China, but China is simply lying about how badly they are bing hit.

Follow Warner Todd Huston on facebook.com/Warner.Todd.Huston.

Don't forget to Like The Washington Sentinel on Facebook and Twitter, and visit our friends at The Republican Legion.

Become an insider!

Sign up for the free Washington Sentinel email newsletter, and we'll make sure to keep you in the loop.

Advertisement

Healthcare

Boris Johnson Moved To ICU As Coronavirus Symptoms Worsen

Published

on

UK prime minister Boris Johnson was admitted to hospital for tests on Sunday, 10 days after testing positive for coronavirus. On Monday, a Downing Street statement said that Johnson’s condition “has worsened and, on the advice of his medical team, he has been moved to the Intensive Care Unit at the hospital.”

President Trump on UK Prime minister Boris Johnson: “We are very saddened to hear that he was taken into intensive care this afternoon a little while ago and Americans are all praying for his recovery. He has been a really good friend. He’s been something very special.”

Twitter responds:
Continue Reading

Healthcare

Tigers And Lions At Bronx Zoo Tests Positive For Coronavirus

Published

on

A tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for the new coronavirus, in what is believed to be the first known infection in an animal.

“We tested the cat out of an abundance of caution” and aim to “contribute to the world’s continuing understanding of this novel coronavirus,” said Dr. Paul Calle, the zoo’s chief veterinarian.

BI:

In a suspected human to animal transmission, a tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for COVID-19, the coronavirus disease.

Nadia, a four-year-old female tiger at the zoo tested positive, and the diagnosis was confirmed by the USDA’s National Veterinary Services Laboratory, based in Ames, Iowa. The Wildlife Conservation Society said that Nadia, three other tigers, and three African lions have developed dry coughs and decreased appetite, but are expected to recover. None of the zoo’s other big cats, including tigers in another area of the zoo, have shown any coronavirus symptoms.

The cats were infected by a caretaker who had COVID-19 but was asymptomatic, according to the Wildlife Conservation Society. They don’t yet know how the virus develops or affects big cats. The zoo has implemented preventative measures to prevent exposure in other cats. Nadia was tested out of “an abundance of caution” after symptoms started on March 27, the zoo said, and it hopes that any information gained will contribute to the world’s understanding of the virus, which has infected more than a million people around the world. More

Continue Reading

Healthcare

Alabama And Massachusetts Are Giving Police The Addresses Of People Diagnosed With Coronavirus

Published

on

Alabama and Massachusetts health officials are sharing with law enforcement the addresses of people diagnosed with coronavirus in a bid to contain the virus.

“It’s only on an as-known, as-needed basis,” Leah Missildine, executive director of Alabama’s 911 Board, told VICE News in a story published yesterday. “The impetus behind this is to protect first responders because 9-1-1 receives the information and coordinates the response of first responders.”

DM:

The states of Alabama and Massachusetts are now giving the details of people who are known to have been diagnosed with coronavirus to the police.

Alabama has been providing the addresses but not names to law enforcement and other emergency responders for more than a week.

The information is supposed to be given to officers when they go out on calls.

‘It’s only on an as-known, as-needed basis,’ said Leah Missildine, executive director of Alabama’s 911 Board to Vice.

‘The impetus behind this is to protect first responders because 911 receives the information and coordinates the response of first responders. That was deemed the most efficient way to share this information.’

‘The Alabama Department of Public Health was requested to provide addresses of patients home quarantined for COVID 19 to the Alabama 9-1-1 Board for the protection of first responders,’ said Arrol Sheehan, director of public information at the Alabama Department of Public Health.

The state of Alabama could also release information to third parties including doctors or anyone else who could be deemed to be exposed.

he state say the rule came into force to help protect first responders, in particular.

Sheehan quoted the part of Alabama law that authorizes such disclosures: ‘Physicians or the State Health Officer or his designee may notify a third party of the presence of a contagious disease in an individual where there is a foreseeable, real or probable risk of transmission of the disease.’ More

Does this violate our HIPAA laws? So now they’re trampling on people’s privacy rights. This is a very wrong step down a very slippery slope. Plus this might keep some folks from getting tested.

Shouldn’t they just assume all people are potential carriers of the coronavirus and protect themselves?

Continue Reading

Healthcare

White House Issues New Social Distancing Rules as Virus Crisis Set to Peak

If we all play along, we should be able to get the nation back up and running within a month or two.

Published

on

This is a war, folks, and we have all a role to play.

As a novel and dangerous strain of coronavirus continues to race around the globe, the world is mobilizing in ways that we haven’t seen since perhaps World War II.  Everyone has a job, a duty in these trying times, and for a vast majority of us our task is social distancing.

While the idea seems simple, (stay away from one another until we starve this illness of hosts), it seems as though a great many Americans are having trouble with the concept.  This has been particularly true of young Americans, whose feelings of invincibility have spawned numerous outbreaks after they cavorted around in South Florida for spring break and caravanned home with coronavirus.

The White House has recognized the value in social distancing, and is now issuing further guidance on the topic – including a new date until which we must strive to keep the practice alive.

President Donald Trump said Sunday he would extend nationwide social distancing guidelines for another 30 days, an abrupt back-down from his push to reopen the country as coronavirus continues to spread.

The 15-day guidelines Trump announced two weeks ago were set to expire on Monday, and the President had suggested over the past week that he was looking to relax them, at least in some parts of the country. He even floated Easter, on April 12, as a potential date by which the country could return to normal.

But on Sunday he said he’d decided to extend the guidelines — which include suggested limits on large gatherings — to April 30, a sign his earlier predictions were overly rosy.

“The better you do, the faster this whole nightmare will end,” the President said Sunday at a White House news conference. He said he would be finalizing a new plan and strategy early this week and announcing the details on Tuesday.

With any luck, and with a concerted effort on the part of all Americans, we hit this target and bring the nation roaring back to life…perhaps before Memorial Day.

Continue Reading

Healthcare

Massive Naval Hospital Ship Arrives in The Big Apple, and Not a Minute Too Soon

The US Navy has come to the rescue once again.

Published

on

New York City is one of, if not the most iconic cities in the entire world.  It’s the hub of American business and a driver of US fashion and art.  Despite what some may think of the politics of The Big Apple, there is no denying that the Five Boroughs are an American gem, thanks to the intensely dense population and melting pot of cultures contained within.

But it is for very reason that New York City has become a coronavirus hotspot, as close contact is hard to avoid in the city that never sleeps.

That’s why, when New Yorkers asked America for help, America brought it in a big way.

The USNS Comfort arrived in New York on Monday, bringing a massive Navy hospital ship to help relieve city hospitals overwhelmed by coronavirus patients.

The 1,000-bed floating hospital docked Monday at Pier 90 on Manhattan’s West Side, and is set to begin treating patients Tuesday.

“Our nation has heard our plea for help here in New York City,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said as he greeted the ship at Pier 90. “There could not be a better example of all of America pulling for New York City than the arrival of the USNS Comfort.”

The ship, emblazoned with red crosses on its white hull, will not treat coronavirus patients, but will take on other patients including trauma cases, freeing up beds at local hospitals focused on combating the pandemic. It will have 750 beds ready to treat patients immediately.

The well-equipped ship allowed authorities to breathe a brief sigh of relief.

The Comfort is staffed by 1,200 medical personnel and equipped with operating rooms, a medical laboratory, a pharmacy, digital radiology, a CAT scan, two oxygen-producing plants and a helicopter deck.

“We needed this boost. We needed this hope,” de Blasio said, calling it a “beacon of hope” to see the ship entering city waters and “coming here to save the lives of New Yorkers in our hour of need.”

The news will certainly be well regarded among the city’s medical staff, who have been working themselves to exhaustion in an effort to slow the coronavirus outbreak.

Continue Reading

Healthcare

NY Governor Cuomo No Longer Satisfied with CDC Coronavirus Guidelines

Is New York’s situation really that unique?

Published

on

New York City has quickly become one of, if not the most infected city in the world in terms of COVID-19 cases, and that has put local authorities in a very peculiar situation.

The population density of The Big Apple, along with the city’s notorious hustle and bustle, have combined to make the highly contagious coronavirus an omnipresent nightmare for those on the ground.  Hospitals are growing ever more crowded, and healthcare heroes are exhausting themselves…and we haven’t likely seen the worst of it yet.

For those on the ground, the experience appears to be harrowing, and New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has even suggested that CDC’s guidelines could be abandoned in favor of a New York-specific set of recommendations.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Saturday that his state is considering bucking Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines for personal protective equipment (PPE) in crisis situations that he said is worrying some health care professionals.

The comments during a Saturday press conference came after the governor went out of his way Friday to emphasize his state’s need for tens of thousands of ventilators after President Trump questioned the number that New York would need to deal with its coronavirus patients.

Then came the question of the CDC guidance.

“There is a concern among health care professionals because the CDC guidelines suggest a different protocol for PPE and masks depending on the condition,” Cuomo said. “And apparently there is a crisis set of guidelines that the CDC puts out for … how often you change your gown, how often you change your mask, etc. in a crisis. And the CDC has put those crisis guidelines in place and many health care professionals are concerned that those guidelines do not adequately protect the nurses and the doctors and the health care staff that are working on this issue.”

Cuomo continued: “[Commissioner of Health] Dr. [Howard] Zucker is looking at that. If we believe the CDC guidelines do not protect health care professionals, we will put our own guidelines in place.”

Cuomo and President Trump have repeatedly butted heads on the subject of the coronavirus, and the tension has even led some Democrats to openly call for Cuomo to usurp Joe Biden as the presumptive 2020 Democratic presidential candidate.

Continue Reading

Healthcare

Florida Governor Installs Road Blocks to Keep Louisianans in Louisiana

WOW.

Published

on

As social distancing measures continue to be mocked online, particularly by the younger generations, state and local authorities are being forced to draw a hard line in the sand.

You see, the only way to expedite the course that this virus will take is by disallowing the illness access to human hosts.  That means staying away from everyone, because you don’t need to be showing symptoms to be contagious.

For folks in hot spots like New York City and New Orleans, this is especially important.  That’s why the Governor of Florida is telling Louisianans to visit the Sunshine State some other time.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) is requiring travelers from Louisiana to self-isolate for 14 days and said the Florida Highway Patrol will install checkpoints on major roads to screen travelers from that area, he announced on Friday.

DeSantis is imposing restrictions on travelers fleeing to Florida from Louisiana — particularly New Orleans, which is emerging as one of the hotspots of the coronavirus outbreak.

“New Orleans is having a lot of problems — they may not be quite as widespread as New York City. There was a concern from the Panhandle that this could impact them,” DeSantis said during a press conference on Friday.

“They are working hard to keep their rates low and we don’t want to add any problems to them,” he added.

The Florida Highway Patrol will install checkpoints on the major roads along the Alabama-Florida state line and screen drivers from Louisiana, with the exception of those driving commercial vehicles.

“There’ll probably be a diversion for folks with certain license plates,” DeSantis said.

Those who are allowed to enter Florida will be required to self-quarantine for 14 days in accordance with CDC guidelines regarding COVID-19.

Continue Reading

Latest Articles

Become an insider


Best of the Month

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Send this to a friend